Sunday, October 21, 2012

Help Impaction?!?!?!?


I have been dealing with a 0.1 beardie (bearded dragon), named Ruby, that has lost her appetite gradually over the past few months. Her weight has dropped considerably, enough to the point where her tail is showing bones through her skin. After using the Google on the internet device I came up with some tactics. First I tried feeding her pedialyte through a syringe, then I skipped a day. She immediately starting looking more lively and her colors got brighter. Day 2 of feeding I mixed baby food and Pedialyte then administered it to Ruby and she loved the baby food. I skipped another day and mixed baby food with water, then later administered Pedialyte. Now I've run into another problem. Her symptoms are as follows; Ruby has lost skin pigment and looks almost completely white, she looks bloated and I have unfortunately found a hard mass on her right side if you're looking at her belly. I'm starting to think she is impacted as I have not seen signs of parasites in her feces. If she doesn't show any signs of improvement after giving her 2 warm baths, fiber mixed with water and olive oil administered through a syringe, daily stomach massages to try and break up the impaction and warmer cage temps I'm going to have to pay a visit to the local exotic animal veterinarian. Unfortunately I don't think he will perform surgery on Ruby, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully it won't come down to that.

Here is a helpful link if you're experiencing similar problems with your bearded dragon.



Larthagy is a symptom of impaction


X-ray of bearded dragon with sand impaction


No comments:

Post a Comment